Monday, April 12, 2010

Ahem! Have you cleared your Throat Chakra today?

Dear Yin Weaver,

I am happy to report my sore throat is almost entirely gone.  I've decided to call it my "East Meets West" cold, because I don't think I could have licked it without finally adding in the antibiotic my doc gave me last Friday.  Many thanks to all of you who suggested your favorite home remedies.  I stuck with a combo drink of 1/3 ginger ale, 1/3 grapefruit juice and 1/3 water (not to mention a steady diet of Netflix movies).  But here are some other wonderful ideas...

Sharon Hampp suggested hot lemonade with a cinnamon stick.  Susan Parker also likes Cinnamon tea with honey.  Smart thinking, because cinnamon is an effective remedy for colds and sore throats.  Boil powdered cinnamon with a pinch of pepper powder in water, and add honey for a healthy home remedy.

Karen Klauber said to chew on fresh ginger, but I ain't got the noive. 

Does anyone remember mom making you gargle with salt water?  Eve Michelini still uses this tried and true home remedy.

Horehound candy has been around forever, hasn't it?  I haven't tasted one in years, but I couldn't resist looking it up online when Cathy Goff suggested it.  Listen to this description:  Claeys Candy horehound drops are made from 100% natural horehound herbal tea that has been brewed using the traditional technique of steeping in copper kettles to enhance the flavor.  The ingredients are as follows:  sugar, corn syrup, natural horehound herb, caramel color.  Doesn't that sound just so healthy?  Well, except for the sugar, corn syrup and caramel color. 

Still, Horehound is a tried and true herb that's been used to treat colds and sore throats from way back.  But I'm with Susan.  I'll stick with my Ricola, thank you very much.  Here's a quote from Ricola's website:  "Since time immemorial, Ricola has been blending 13 precious medicinal herbs from Switzerland with the same delicious recipe. The mix is particularly effective for colds, coughs and hoarseness, always refreshing and has that fabulous, unique flavour."  And then, there's all those flavors to choose from, like Echinacea and honey lemon, as Sheila Edwards pointed out.

I didn't abandoned my use of the Shankh mudra, either.  I did it every hour or so for just a few minutes.  Call me crazy but I could swear each time, I could feel the pain and burning ease, and the muscles in my throat relax.  Would I have taken longer to recover if I hadn't used the mudra?  I don't know.  I like to think so.  I do know I recovered much more comfortably, and for that I'm very grateful. 

Blessings,
Rose 



    

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Drinking a glass of milk in which 1 tsp. Turmeric powder has been added and boiled will relieve and cure a sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this informative information about Horehound Powder with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete