Saturday, May 1, 2010

Just a Yin Weaver Sitting at the Loom

Dear Yin Weaver,

Speaking of the Crown Chakra, does anyone remember May crownings? I mean, does anyone Catholic out there remember May crownings? 

I remember my first one.  I was in first grade.  The nuns sent us home with notes saying we were to bring flowers to school on a certain day.  I don't remember what I brought, but it seems to me it was a motley crew of dandelions, daisies, wild violets and other assorted weeds from our back yard.  I don't remember what I wore either, but I was jealous of the two pretty second graders in their first communion "wedding dresses" who were elected to place the crown of flowers on Mary's marble brow.  Then the rest of us processed forward to lay our bouquets at her feet. 

Do you remember the songs we used to sing? I remember this one.  I can still sing it!

Bring Flowers of the Rarest
Refrain:

O Mary we crown thee with blossoms today!
Queen of the Angels and Queen of the May.
O Mary we crown thee with blossoms today,
Queen of the Angels and Queen of the May.

Bring flowers of the rarest
bring blossoms the fairest,
from garden and woodland and hillside and dale;
our full hearts are swelling,
our glad voices telling
the praise of the loveliest flower of the vale!

Actually, it's a very sweet song.  Listen to it here.

What about now?  Does anyone out there STILL celebrate May crownings?  In her blog Motherly Loving, Robina talks about other traditions, prayers, crafts and food she and her family use to celebrate (and if you need some recipes, there's actually a website called Catholic Cuisine).  The Philipino community in our church celebrates with a 28 day novena which culminates in a May crowning.  I'm celebrating with a 33 day renewal of my consecration to Mary. 

Surprised?  I mean, here I am writing about Eden Energy Medicine, Reiki, Chakras, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Flower Essences.  What's a good new ager like me doing talking about Mary, Church, novenas, consecrations and  May crownings? 

Actually, I don't consider myself "new age."  I'm just a Yin Weaver sitting at the loom, sometimes wondering how it all fits...never doubting that it does. 

And you?

Blessings,
Rose    






 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I never knew that making dandelion wreath has such deep catholic traditions. With girl-friends, we would just make it for ourself and each other, basically the whole spring and summer season, as long as there were wild flowers to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I remember those dandelion chains!

    :-)Rose

    ReplyDelete